How to Install Apache NetBeans on Fedora 36 / Fedora 35
Apache NetBeans is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, and Solaris.
Install Java JD
NetBeans requires JAVA JDK 11 or 17 to be available on the system. So, you can install either OpenJDK or Oracle Java for Apache NetBeans installation.
In this post, I will use OpenJDK 17.
sudo dnf install java-17-openjdk-devel -y
Once the OpenJDK installation is complete, check the Java version with the below command.
openjdk version "17.0.2" 2022-01-18 OpenJDK Runtime Environment 21.9 (build 17.0.2+8) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 21.9 (build 17.0.2+8, mixed mode, sharing)
Install Apache NetBeans on Fedora 36
You can follow any of the below methods to install Apache NetBeans on Fedora 36.
1. Install Apache Netbeans Using Snap
Apache NetBeans is available as a snap package for Fedora operating system. So, first, install the Snap package management on your system.
sudo dnf install -y snapd sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap sudo snap install core && sudo snap refresh core
Then, install Apache NetBeans using the
sudo snap install netbeans --classic
The installation will take some time to complete. After installing NetBeans, verify the NetBeans installation using the below command.
sudo snap list netbeans
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes netbeans 13 58 latest/stable apache-netbeans✓ classic
2. Install Apache NetBeans From Official Archive
Download Apache NetBeans
Apache Software Foundation releases Apache NetBeans IDE four times a year. You can download Apache NetBeans v13 (The latest version when writing this article) by visiting the Apache NetBeans download page or using the following command in a terminal.
Install Apache NetBeans
First, set the executable permission to the installer file in order to run the Apache NetBeans installer,
sudo chmod 700 Apache-NetBeans-*-bin-linux-x64.sh
Then, run the Apache NetBeans installer.
The Apache NetBeans installer will start the graphical installer, and you will need to follow the installer wizard.
1. Click Next or Customize the installation packs and runtimes on the installer welcome screen.
2. Click the checkbox to accept the terms in the license agreement and then click Next.
3. The installer will detect the installation folder and the location of JDK automatically. If you want, you can change the Apache NetBeans installation folder and JDK for Apache NetBeans.
4. Optionally, you can allow NetBeans to Check for Updates of installed plugins. Then click Install to begin the installation.
5. The installation will take a while. Finally, click Finish to complete the installation.
Since Apache NetBeans is installed in a custom location, we will create a link to the
/usr/bin directory so that you can start NetBeans IDE with the
sudo ln -s /usr/local/netbeans-*/netbeans/bin/netbeans /usr/bin/netbeans
Launch Apache NetBeans
Start the Apache Netbeans on Debian by going to Activities >> search for Apache NetBeans or running the
netbeans command in the terminal.