How to Upgrade Ubuntu 20.04 to Ubuntu 22.04
Ubuntu 22.04 was released on April 21, 2022, codenamed Jammy Jellyfish. If you haven’t upgraded your system to Ubuntu 22.04 yet, here is the guide on upgrading Ubuntu 20.04 LTS or Ubuntu 21.10 to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
If you wish, you can also perform a fresh installation of Ubuntu 20.04 on your system.
Ubuntu 22.04 will be supported for five years, until April 2027.
Take a look at the new features in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS to learn more about what you get when you upgrade your system to Ubuntu 22.04.
Before upgrading Ubuntu 20.04 or Ubuntu 21.10 to Ubuntu 22.04, take a backup of critical files to an external disk or cloud storage like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.
Check if the system is configured to receive OS upgrades. To check that,
Click on the Activities >> Search for Software & Updates >> Updates tab >> Ensure Notify me of a new Ubuntu version is set to For long-term support versions.
Click the Activities >> Search for Software & Updates >> Updates tab >> Ensure Notify me of a new Ubuntu version is set to For any new version.
Update Ubuntu Packages
First, we need to install the latest updates for the current version of Ubuntu, i.e., Ubuntu 22.04 or Ubuntu 21.10, using the following command.
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade -y
Reboot the system.
Upgrade To Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
In the terminal, run the following command to open the software updater.
sudo update-manager -cd
You should get the software updater window with a message saying that Ubuntu 22.04 is available.
1. Click Upgrade… on the software updater.
2. Click Upgrade in the Ubuntu 22.04 LTS release notes window.
3. Wait for a few minutes to let the software updater prepare for upgrades and configure new channels to receive upgrades.
4. Click Start Upgrade on the Do you want to start the upgrade? window to begin the up-gradation process. You will find the summary of the OS upgrade in this window. Review them and confirm for upgrading Ubuntu.
Take a break. The upgrade process will take 30 to 50 minutes, depending on your internet connection speed.
5. You may need to decide whether to keep or replace the customized configuration files with a newer version from the upgrade.
6. Click Next in Upgrade to the Firefox snap
7. Remove obsolete packages by clicking Remove.
8. Click Restart Now to restart the machine to complete the upgrade.
Once your system is rebooted, you will get the Ubuntu 20.04 login screen. Log in with your existing credentials.
You will get the desktop upon successful login.
That’s All. Your system has been successfully upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04.