Hyper-V is one of the hardware virtualization technology used in the industry. This is based on hypervisor and one of the important features of Windows Server 2008. it offers a flexible, reliable and highly powerful virtualization platform.
It also offers a ability to manage various things by using the features like quick migration of the physical servers to the hyper-v virtual machines and another physical hosts, possible to integration with SCVMM (ie. System Center Virtual Machine Manager).
Lets, begin with the installation process of hyper-v on windows server 2008. Before starting with the installation procedure make sure you have the following required things.
Requirements for Installing Hyper-V:
Hyper-V required following Specific requirement to run.
1) x64-based Processor: The hyper-v can only be installed on the x64-based versions of Windows Server 2008, which are Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise and DataCenter Edition.
2) Must have a processor that consists of virtualization options enabled or the HAV should be enabled in the BIOS. The Intel VT and AMD Virtualization includes such options. Along with the HAV, the Data Execution Protection should also be enabled in the BIOS. Make sure you enable the Intex XD bit or AMD NX bit.
Step 1: Click Start —–> Server Manager.
Step 2: Left side you will find the Role Section, Click On Roles.
Step 3: Roles page will open seperately, Click on Add Roles on the right side to add the Hyper-V role.
Step 4: Now the Add Role Wizard will open, Click Next to Continue.
Step 5: In the list you will find the Hyper-V, Select Hyper-V and Click Next to continue.
Step 6: The following screen will the introduction for the Hyper-V, if you like read it. Otherwise click Next to continue.
Step 7: You can create connections to a whole network simply by clicking one or more network adapters on the “Create Virtual Networks” window. It is recommended to have at least two network adapters, which can be used for different purposes. One for virtual network and another for server management.
it does the following.
- Communications between virtual servers only.
- Communications between the virtualization server and virtual servers.
- Communications between a virtual servers and a physical network by creating an association to a physical network adapter on the virtualization server.
Step 8: Click on Install to start the installation Hyper-V.
The following screen shows the initialzing the installation of Hyper-V.
Step 9: Once the intialization is completed it will prompt you to reboot the server. Clic Yes on the Reboot window.
Step 10: Once the machine reboot, log in with your credential. The server manager start to resume the installation automatically.
Step 11: Once the installation is over, click close on Result window.
Now the Hyper-V successfully installed on Windows server 2008.