In this post, we will see and go through the interesting features and useful functions of an IDE, which is quite popular among web developers.
CodeLobster PHP IDE is available for all platforms, a compact distribution for downloading and an almost instant installation allow you to get started to work right away.
There is full support and differentiated highlighting of mixed code, for example, when you have to edit an HTML file with embedded PHP tags, all expressions will be highlighted using different colors.
You can choose the color scheme that you like the most, the program implements more than 20 different schemes, even those that are used in other popular IDEs.
When creating a project, you can choose a new empty project with your custom settings, with existing source codes, or create your own application based on frameworks or CMS.
Immediately after the opening of the project, CodeLobster scans it and creates a project structure, that allows you to navigate through the source files.
You can easily move from the position where the function is called to the declaration, by clicking on its name, holding the Ctrl key.
Use this method when you create an instance of a class to quickly jump to its definition, in the same way we can move through the included files.
In the case when the currently edited file reaches a significant size, the ability to collapse code sections and to set local bookmarks will help, so you can easily cope with large source files and quickly navigate in the code.
CodeLobster has instant tooltips for all supported programming languages, just point the mouse at the function.
If you need to quickly get information on any web technology from the official documentation, it can be done directly from the CodeLobster. Hover the cursor on the name of a function, tag or attribute and then press F1, the documentation will be opened in the browser.
In the right panel of the program, there is a tab “Dynamic Help” in which the IDE automatically selects a list of links for relevant documentation.
Using dynamic help, novice programmers can write code and simultaneously strengthen their knowledge.
Additional program features:
- PHP debugger works using the XDebug extension, it allows you to perform step-by-step debugging of scripts, to use breakpoints, display the stack trace and receive profiler data.
- There is an ability to inspect HTML and CSS code with the built-in IDE tools, according to the principles of known to all Firebug.
- The user interface supports 17 languages, among them English, German, Russian, Spanish, French and others.
- The program works under Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, as well as Mac OS and all Linux systems, such as Ubuntu, Fedora and Debian.
Professional version of the CodeLobster PHP IDE
The professional version of the IDE comes with a set of advanced tools which are especially needed for each specialist:
- PHP frameworks – there is support for the most popular libraries, such as CakePHP, CodeIgniter, Laravel, Phalcon, Smarty, Symfony, Twig, and Yii. Frameworks implement all routine functions, and they ensure the speed of development and deployment of the project, as well as a reduction in errors.
- CMS – there is an ability to work with Drupal, Magento, Joomla and WordPress, by using the wizard you can install and configure any CMS in just a few minutes. Content management systems provide an interface for administration and a set of APIs, you can quickly create and run a site of any complexity based on one of these systems.
Built-in SQL Manager provides convenient work with connections to MySQL databases. We can manage the database structure and columns in tables, read, modify or write data.
You can create and execute queries of any complexity because the SQL editor fully supports SQL syntax, suggestions, and autocompletion.
FTP Connection Manager allows you to work with files on a remote server transparently. Edited files are automatically uploaded to the remote directory when the changes made on the local machine are saved.
It is also possible to work through a secure connection over FTPS or SFTP (over SSH protocol).
Let’s sum up all the above
We had the opportunity to test all the functions of this IDE. CodeLobster showed itself on the good side when working on projects with complex structure and with a large number of source files.
We offer you too to work with this IDE, especially because it does not require any complicated settings and all the necessary tools are already included, even if you have decided to use the free version of the program so far.