How to Install Apache NetBeans on Debian 11 / Debian 10
Apache NetBeans is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, and Solaris.
Here, we will see how to install Apache NetBeans on Debian 11 / Debian 10.
NetBeans requires JDK 8 or newer to be available on the system. So, you can install either OpenJDK or Oracle Java for Apache NetBeans installation.
In this post, I will use OpenJDK 11.
sudo apt update sudo apt install -y openjdk-11-jdk
Once the OpenJDK installation is complete, check the Java version with the below command.
openjdk version "11.0.12" 2021-07-20 OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.12+7-post-Debian-2) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.12+7-post-Debian-2, mixed mode, sharing)
Download Apache NetBeans
Apache Software Foundation releases Apache NetBeans four times a year. You can download Apache NetBeans 12.4 (The latest version when writing this article) or Apache NetBeans 12.0 (Long Term Support) by visiting the Apache NetBeans download page.
You can use the following command to download the package using a terminal.
# Apache NetBeans 12.4 (Latest Version) wget https://dlcdn.apache.org/netbeans/netbeans/12.4/Apache-NetBeans-12.4-bin-linux-x64.sh # Apache NetBeans 12.0 (LTS) wget https://dlcdn.apache.org/netbeans/netbeans/12.0/Apache-NetBeans-12.0-bin-linux-x64.sh
Install Apache NetBeans
To run the Apache NetBeans installer, set the executable permission to it.
chmod 700 Apache-NetBeans-*-bin-linux-x64.sh
Install the downloaded package.
The Apache NetBeans installer will start the graphical installer, and you will need to follow the installer wizard.
1. Click Next or Customize the installation packs and runtimes.
2. Click the checkbox to accept the terms in the license agreement and then click Next.
3. Choose the Apache NetBeans installation folder and JDK for Apache NetBeans. You do not have to choose them manually; the installer will detect the installation folder and the location of JDK automatically.
4. Optionally, you can allow NetBeans to Check for Updates of installed plugins. Then click Install to begin the installation.
5. The installation will take a while. Finally, click Finish to complete the installation.
Launch Apache NetBeans
Start the Apache Netbeans on Debian by going to Activities >> search for Apache NetBeans or with
That’s all. I hope you have learned how to install Apache NetBeans on Debian 11 / Debian 10. You can now head to getting started with Java and PHP / HTML applications development.